EMERSON Automation Solutions (President-retired)
Chairman of the Visiting Committee
John Gardner was raised in Keyser, West Virginia and received his Bachelor of Science Degree and Masters of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from West Virginia University, Morgantown. He and his wife Nancy currently reside in Gallatin, TN and have two married daughters and six grandchildren. John enjoys Bird Hunting, Fly Fishing, Golf, Shooting Sports, Hiking and Travel and is a passionate coach & mentor to the next generation of leadership.
- March 2018-Present Independent Business Consultant & Advisor focused on growth, profitability and customer strategic relationships
- 2011-Present Board Member - Strategic Account Management Association (SAMA)
- October 2016- February 2018 Senior Advisor - Global Sales, EMERSON Automation Solutions
- Co-Led Strategy and Implementation Planning for Sales, Marketing, and Services forLargest acquisition in history of EMERSON (Pentair Valves & Controls-$3.2 Bil)
- Led the transformation and restart of the Global Sales Excellence Program
- John retired from EMERSON in February 2018 after nearly 37yrs. Service.
- October 2014-October 2016 President - EMERSON Automation Solutions, Global Strategic Accounts
- December 2008 to September 2014 Senior Vice President- EMERSON Process Management, Global Strategic Accounts Program
- In the role, John led and set the direction for the Global Strategic Accounts Program across the EMERSON Process Automation and Management Group. The Global Strategic AccountsProgram focuses on those Accounts that are driving growth at multiples of the total ProcessManagement business and have established a desire to collaborate with Emerson to drive increased value and business results enabled thru the Technology, Products, Services, Processes and People of Emerson Process Management. Under John’s Leadership, The Global Strategic Accounts Program has grown by a Growth Factor of 5X over past 5 years with the same number of total Strategic Accounts and now represents 45+% of the Total Process Automation Group Sales. The Program was recognized in 2012 as the SAMA Global Strategic Account Program of the Year (POY) Award Winner. John was a member of the Process Executive Group (Large-PEG), Group Global Sales Leadership Team, Sales Council, Group Global Life Cycle ServicesCouncil and participates actively in setting direction for sales processes and as an active Executive Sponsor & member of Executive Steering Groups with multiple Strategic Accounts. John is a member of the Board of Directors of SAMA. John is active in the Emerson Global Leadership Institute where he serves as a Resident Executive and Guest Speaker by actively coaching & mentoring the next generation of Leaders in Emerson Process Management.
- December 2006 to January 2009 Senior Vice President - Global Sales - PSS Div.
- In the role, John led and set the direction for the Global Sales efforts of the process Systems& Solutions business ($1.0Bil+) across all world areas and industries for the entire portfolio of platforms, products and services. John participates on behalf of PSS in the Group SalesCouncil, and acts as the Executive Sponsor for an array of significant Customer accounts.
- December 2002-December 2006 Senior Vice President and General Manager, Process Systems & Solutions
- John led two of the four vertical Industry Groups (LSFB-Life Sciences, Food and Beverage &PEMO-Pulp and Paper, Energy, Metals and Mining) for Emerson Process Management, Process Systems and Solutions Divisions. He was the Emerson Process Management executive leader for the Emerson Global User Exchange (1998-2004) which has grown from& 200 to 1500+ attendees during his tenure and is also the leader of the Local Business Partners Advisory Board for the division. John acted as the Executive Sponsor for several significant customer accounts on behalf of Emerson Process Management.
- August 1998 – December 2002 Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales Development and Support, Process Systems Division
- October 1997 – August 1998 Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales Development and Support, Fisher Controls International
- June 1994 – October 1997 Vice President, Sales Development and Support, Fisher Controls
- January 1994 – June 1994 Vice President, Business Development, Fisher Controls
- October 1993 – January 1994 Vice President, Business Development, Fisher Controls and XOMOX
- October 1992 – October 1993 Vice President/General Manager North America Operations, XOMOX Corporation Division of Emerson Electric Co., Cincinnati
- August 1991 - October, 1992 Vice President and General Manager, USA Operations, XOMOX Corporation
- March 1990 - August 1991 Vice President, USA Sales and Worldwide Marketing, XOMOX Corporation
- August 1988 - August 1990 Vice President and General Manager, Far East/Asia-Pacific, XOMOX Corporation
- October 1986 - January 1989 Director, Worldwide Engineering and Technology, XOMOX Corporation
- April 1981 - August 1988 Founder and General Manager, XOMOX Special Products Group
- 1976- 1981 Program Manager/Project Manager, U.S. Department of Energy- Morgantown, WV
Other Leadership Roles
- Executive Sponsor and Board Member of the Emerson Global Users Exchange (1998-2004)
- Executive Sponsor for many major Emerson project wins including, Strategic Alliances with Lubrizol; Shell; Valero Energy; Woodside Energy Browse Program; Shell-Malampaya Deep Water Gas to Power Project in the Philippines; Shell-Deer Park Refinery Re-instrumentation & Modernization Project, Wyeth-Grange Castle in Ireland’s Biotech Project, Johnson & Johnson; BMS- LSCC-Large Scale Cell Culture Biologics Project and Roche Genentech’s Life Sciences Programs.
- Member of the Distinguished Academy of Alumni- West Virginia University, College of Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer in multiple states (Present-WV & OH)
- Member of ISA; ASME; SAMA, and ISPE
- Member Board of Directors - Strategic Account Management Association (2011-Present)
- Inventor/co-inventor, awarded 10+ patents
- Author/Co-author of over 50 published reports and articles
- Hosted two Symposiums on Valve Technology for Coal Conversion Processes (Gasification & Liquefaction)